A Brief History of Emmanuel United Church
Congregational worship services were first held in the Cowansville courthouse around 1844. The original Congregational church was built in 1852 but was torn down and replaced in 1890 by the present Emmanuel United Church building. This red brick church, with its Gothic style and spire of 120 feet in height, cost $6000. to build at that time.
The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 and it was decided by joint committees to use this Congregational church for the new “Emmanuel United Church”.
The Casavant pipe organ in the church was built around 1920 and was completely refurbished and reconditioned in 1992.
During the 1940s the 120 foot high steeple was removed due to its instability in high winds. There were additional renovations during the 1950s including the construction of a “Christian Education” wing which now houses the church offices and meeting rooms.